23.2.10

lessons learned & gratitude

It's been two weeks since we got the call to pick up our little guy. Oh, how much our life has changed in that time. For starters, my TV viewing has drastically declined, while my baby viewing has increased exponentially. I'd also like to think that as a fledgling father of uncertain duration, I have added a few new abilities to my meager skill set. Those of you much more versed in the child raising process might not even give a second thought to some of my recently accrued knowledge, but I find it valuable for the time being.

Lesson #1: Wake a sleeping baby only at your peril, especially from a deep sleep. This ranks up there on a badness scale of actually believing your wife when you ask what is wrong and she says, "nothing."

Lesson #2: A baby can take a simple thing, such as milk and turn it into a monstrously disgusting tidal wave of green sludge that explodes from the diaper to cling to every little fold of baby skin. If you smell something funny, hand the baby off.

Lesson #3: The baby sleeps when you are awake and wants to be awake when you want to sleep. I had heard this for a long time, but it is one of those cases where the reality of it is a lot harder than the theory.

Lesson #4: I have a wife? I know that there is another person that lives in our house and helps to take care of the baby, but our interaction doesn't go to much beyond that. How do you find that balance between, baby, husband/wife, work, personal time? Or are husband/wife and personal time a thing of the past at this point?

Lesson #5: The amount of projectile vomiting is proportional to the number of burp clothes and items of clean clothing available to the baby. If one burp cloth is within reach and everything else is in the laundry, then the baby will produce enough regurgitated formula to cover approximately half of a football field. Truly one of science's many mysteries.

My other thoughts right now run towards gratitude and humility. We have seen an amazing outpouring of love from so many people it is truly amazing. From people at church feeding us for more than a week, to people at work donating money to help as well as food and gift cards. I've never been the recipient of service like this, and it has been surreal. We are surrounded by ministering angels.

The whole process is somewhat frustrating for me in that I have no control whatsoever over the situation and I struggle with that. I do however take great comfort and strength from all the prayers offered on our (and more importantly the little guy's) behalf. Thank you and I would hope that you would continue to keep us in your prayers.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Sooo cute!! We have definitely been keeping you in our prayers. Keep up the good work!

Carrie said...

I am so glad that you are getting to learn these lessons! Everyone should be able to experence them, and it is so wonderful that you get to. Your little family is in our prayers.

Em said...

One thing I will say personal time is hard to come by especially if you are ding your job well (my opinion), which leads to you some how fighting for even a little bit of it. Couple time is as simple as a movie and falling asleep together, it can't get more romantic than that. Enjoy it, really this is the fun part.

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

Isn't it great!?!

D.B. said...

Sounds about par for the course my friend. Buena Suerte!

Mrs. Currah said...

Hey Pack, I love #1.
Too funny. Tamara updates our blog now so check it out. Talked to your mom last weekend, she said she was working on heading out your way. Good stuff. Take care
Andy