16.5.09

Good Samaritan?

I ran to a local grocery store late tonight to get a few things that we needed for dinner tomorrow. I had just come from the adult session of Stake Conference in which we had heard about letting our light shine, and I was feeling inspired and uplifted from the meetings. As I was checking out, there was an older, run-down looking gentleman in front of me buying some groceries as well. The cashier told him that his food stamp card had insufficient funds, and so after waiting a few moments, he said that he'd just leave everything behind. Without thinking, I said that I'd pay for his groceries as well as mine. He tried to object and say that it was too much, but it really wasn't that much and I said that I was happy to do it. He graciously accepted, I paid, and we went on our separate ways. As I left, I was feeling quite good about myself. I was letting my light shine, I was helping my fellow man. I got to my car, got in, and put my groceries in the seat next to me. In my delight with myself, I checked the receipt to see what great goods I had purchased for this down-on-his-luck gentleman and saw that I had just paid for several bottles of a Bloody Mary mix. Way to go Chris.

5 comments:

D.B. said...

LOL that's hillarious, maybe that's why he was out of funds, he has a drinking problem lol, you had good intentions either way, just try to quit buying mixers for ppl down on their luck ;) that's funny Chris (for half a second as I first read this, I read "I had just come from the adult section," that was funny too)

lisa said...

ah! i love this and am still laughing...chris you are the best! (the adult section--hopefully not in the grocery store!) love it

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

What an example you are! You'll still get the blessings regardless of the groceries.

Besides, why the heck are people allowed to buy alcohol on food stamps!? Our tax dollars hard at work. They also work at McDonalds now too.

Becky said...

hee, hee! Mom

Gina said...

Oh Chris....it was a good effort anyway.