2.3.09

San Gimignano

Our second medieval hill town that we visited in the fairytale-esque Tuscan wonderfulness, was San Gimignano, town of 100 towers. Well, there used to be 100 towers, now there are only 14 or so.

The towers of San Gimignano.

We took a bus from Florence and arrived on market day, which has been happening in the same spot for the last 1000 years. We continued our shopping excellence in San Gimignano's market, buying linens for our mothers as well as for Lisa.

Lisa at the market.

I also managed to find some local artisan honey for my dad. Great stuff (assuming you like honey). As we meandered the town, we found several fun shops. Lisa lost me for a little while as I happened upon a small place full of cheese, wines, and vinegars. I struck up a conversation with the owner and he offered me a taste of fresh pecorino (as I think of that cheese, I'm doing the Homer Simpson drool face with accompanying sounds). He had me hooked. He then introduced me to his balsamic vinegar supply and a very happy fool was soon parted with his euros. He had me try several different years, and the 15 year old taste was the best. So I got some, along with some of the pecorino. Drool.

Me finishing off my pecorino. I think Lisa got one bite and then it was gone!

San Gimignano is a tiny town, all cobblestone with tiny narrow streets. We wandered around and shopped and generally just enjoyed the beautiful sites, sounds, and yes, tastes. We found a great little park full of olive trees, with wonderful views of the town as well as the surrounding countryside.

San Gimignano and Tuscany.

While shopping, we found a fun little shop that recycled old roof tiles and painted Tuscan scenes on them. They were perfect for Lisa's dad, so we got him one. About an hour later, the normally sure-handed blogorific me, dropped the tile, breaking it beyond repair. Luckily, the shop had one more of the same style, and they even gave me a great deal on tile number two, along with this sage advice, "don't drop it." I'm happy to say that the tile is hanging in my in-laws home in Lander. All in one piece.

Lisa looking out over San Gimignano.

This is one of my favorite pictures from our entire trip. Lisa framed with Tuscany in the background.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm really having a hard time not hating you guys. :) no, really.

So you need to "blurb" this portion of your blog into an AWESOME, REAL looking book for your home. After making one for B, I'm hooked. blurb.com --the program is slow and annoying, but the finished product you get in the mail really kicks.

that's all.